The Public Service Pay and Pensions Bill 2017 passed through the Dail in December. The RMA sought, with the help of TUI and the Alliance of Retired Public Servants, to have amendments made to the Bill but were unsuccessful.
The Bill is on the RMA website
The proposals of the Bill were discussed by the Alliance of Retired Public Servants and by the RMA Management committee at their meetings in November. These were viewed as disappointing in two respects:
- The timescale outlined for restoration is too long. (The Alliance and RMA had sought full restoration by 2019.)
- There is no definite latest date for full pension restoration for those on pensions above €54000.
2% of public service pensioners have pensions above €54000.
The effects of the Bill are:
- Everyone who retired before March 2012 with a pension of €39000 or below will, from January. 1st, 2019 will be exempt from PSPR.
- Everyone who retired before March 2012 with a pension of €54000 or below will, from January. 1st, 2020 will be exempt from PSPR.
- The lowest paid pensioners will receive increases backdated to September 2017.
- Everyone with a pension up to €34164 are now exempt from PSPR since January 1st 2018.
The vast majority of RMA members will be exempt from PSPR by 2020 as their pensions are below €54000.
The RMA would like to commend the members who lobbied political parties over the past few years, thank you.
Members and in particular branch secretaries should note that April 23rd is the deadline for motions to AGM which will take place on May 23rd in the Tullamore Court Hotel, Tullamore, Co. Offaly. (See details below) If you have any motions please submit them to me at email@example.com before April 23rd 2018.
Important information for all members of the RMA
regarding the 2018 AGM in Tullamore
This year the AGM will be in the TullamoreCourtHotel on May 23rd. A variable package has been negotiated with the Hotel, as detailed below. Note in particular: The room rates include Full Irish Breakfast only;
- The Gala Dinner ( 7.00 pm Wednesday night) costs €30.00 payable to the Hotel on arrival;
- The deadline to book accommodation is April 23rd 2018;
- Thursday’s Tour is extra (€25 approx)
- Single Room: €84.00 per night including full Irish Breakfast
- Twin/Double: €104.00 nightly including full Irish Breakfast
Free WiFi; use of the Gym, health club and Pool
Members have several options noting that the AGM commences at 11.30 (Registration from 10.30) on Wednesday the 23rd of May
a) Arrive Tuesday pm, leave Wednesday evening, or Thursday or Friday
b) Arrive Wednesday morning, leave that evening, or Thursday or Friday
Please indicate all your details/requirements on the Booking Form which is available to download from the website www.rmatui.ie
Mass for deceased members will take place on the morning of the 23rdat 9.30 (subject to change)
The AGM will commence at 11.30 with Registration from 10.15 am.
At the time of writing we are looking forward to our Spring break in Rosscarbary Co Cork (almost seventy are booked in), I will give you a report on this break in the next issue of TUI News.
I look forward to seeing you in Tullamore at our AGM on May23rd 2018.